What is Diabetes Alert Day?
It is a one day “wake up call” that focuses on both the importance and seriousness of Diabetes and understanding your risks. This day is dedicated to remind you to look into your likelihood of developing type two diabetes.
You can assess your risk for type two diabetes by taking this test administered by The American Diabetes Association: Diabetes Risk Test
- Diabetes affects approximately 10.5% of Americans.
- 1 in 5 adults living with diabetes don’t know that they have this
- There are three types of diabetes: type 1, type 2, and gestational
- Type 1 diabetes: diabetes is an autoimmune disease in which your body doesn’t produce insulin for itself at all. People with this, must take insulin shots every day
- Types 2: diabetes is caused when the body can’t make enough insulin for the body, and is most common in individuals over the age of 45.
- Gestational: which occurs only in women during pregnancy, and goes away after the baby is born. However, women who have had gestational diabetes are more at risk for Type 2 diabetes after they give birth.
If you have any questions about Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes, or need help caring for a loved one, please call the clinic at (901) 306-5433 to schedule an appointment. As always, stay safe and healthy!
-Wellness and Stress Clinic Team